About Us

The divisions of Boral Construction Materials supply ready mixed concrete and sand and gravel throughout Colorado.  Divisions include Ready Mixed Concrete Company and Boral Aggregates.

History
The histories of Ready Mixed Concrete Company and Boral Aggregates date back to the turn of the 20th century when an ambitious young man named John W. Brannan discovered a sand and gravel deposit while driving his streetcar to the turntable at 48th and Brighton Boulevard. He used his savings to purchase a mule and a wagon and began delivering sand to the foundries in lower downtown Denver. The J.W. Brannan Sand and Gravel Company furnished material for many of the early construction projects in Denver, including the Denver Auditorium, now the Temple Buell Theater.

Old Ready Mixed Photo
Ready Mixed Concrete placing concrete along 17th Avenue in Downtown Denver, early 1950s

Brannan's son Lloyd and son-in-law Frank P. “Bud” Spratlen, Jr. both joined the company.  In 1936, the company was split into Brannan Sand and Gravel, run by Lloyd Brannan, and Ready Mixed Concrete Company, run by Frank Spratlen. 

Timeline history, including many industry firsts and innovations:

  • One of the first five companies in the U.S. to implement a truck-mounted mixer for mobile delivery of concrete.
  • Purchased three "Rex Chain Belt" truck mounted mixers; each mixer held 2 cubic yards of concrete. Success and future expansion were assured when it soon became apparent that the operation was capable of delivering 40 cubic yards of concrete per day.
  • In 1939, the first centralized batch plant was located at 3200 Brighton Boulevard.
  • In 1948, the first "Challenge Light Weight" mixers were purchased, which allowed for larger payloads.
  • In 1955, Ready Mixed was the first concrete company to install two-way radios in their trucks to better serve its customers.
  • In 1961, Mr. Spratlen’s son, F.P. "Budd" Spratlen III, purchased Ready Mixed Concrete.
  • In 1968, the company introduced the first aluminum framed concrete truck with the first Boost-a-Load mixer.
  • In the early 1970's, Ready Mixed pioneered the industry's first computerized dispatch system, which allowed for better utilization of equipment.
  • In 1974, the company invested in one new computerized Rex central wet batch plant. This plant is still located at the intersection of Interstate 25 and Interstate 70. It was completely refurbished in 2001 and is now a state of the art batching facility.
  • In 1982, Best Block Company was formed to supply the masonry contracting industry with a state of the art computerized plant located in Littleton.
  • In 1988, Ready Mixed Aggregates opened a sand and gravel operation just south of Brighton, which allows the company to internally control the highest quality standards by producing its own raw materials.
  • In 2001, Ready Mixed/Best Block acquired the assets of McKinney Concrete Products of Pueblo, Colorado from Jim and Owen McKinney, the sons of its founders. McKinney has been a leader in the masonry industry since the 1950's, supplying the highest quality products to southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. Its state of the art production facility in Pueblo was expanded and updated in 1998.

In 2004, Boral Limited acquired Ready Mixed Concrete Company and the assets of Owens Brothers Concrete, positioning Boral as the third largest concrete producer in the greater Denver metropolitan area.  Ready Mixed Aggregates became Boral Aggregates, a leading supplier of quality aggregate materials to internal and external customers.  Best Block and McKinney became Boral Best Block, a company offering structural building solutions through quality architectural concrete block, Keystone Retaining Walls, Pavers, Cultured Stone and other masonry products.